The Smurfs (French: Les Schtroumpfs) was a cartoon series featuring the eponymous characters which was produced by TVA Dupuis and aired on RTB (Radio Télévision Belge de la Communauté Française) from 1961 to 1967. It was based on the Belgian comic series "The Smurfs" by Peyo. This was the first animated Smurfs production, which was 20 years earlier than the 1980s one. This series was only available in the Europe and was first aired in Belgium. Later, France, The Netherlands, West Germany and Austria had aired the series. Some episodes from this series were selected and became a part of the film "Les Aventures Des Schtroumpfs" in 1965.
The whole series consists of only one season of 9 episodes.
- The Black Smurfs (Les Schtroumpfs Noirs)
- The Egg And The Smurfs (L'Œuf et les Schtroumpfs)
- The Smurfnapper (Le Voleur de Schtroumpfs)
- The Fake Smurf (Le faux Schtroumpf)
- The Flying Smurf (Le Schtroumpf volant)
- The Smurf Unknown (Le Schtroumpf cet inconnu)
- The Smurf And His Dragon (Le Schtroumpf et son dragon)
- The Smurf Flute (La Schtroumpflûte)
- The Smurf Robot (Le Schtroumpf-robot)
- Five episodes were selected and became a part of the film "Les Aventures Des Schtroumpfs:" The Smurfnapper, The Egg And The Smurfs, The Smurf And His Dragon, The Black Smurfs, and The Flying Smurf.
- The series was initially in black and white, but the last two episodes were in color as RTB provided color television service in 1967, the last year of its airing. It is disputed whether the series was actually filmed in color or not.
- Production started in 1959, which was two years before the first airing of the series.
- No English versions of this series have been made at present. Also, the series had never seen a proper DVD release.
- This series can be currently seen at the Belgian Comic Strip Center.
- Unlike the Hanna-Barbera series (which used hand-drawn animation), this series used cutout animation to animate the characters.
- Les Aventures Des Schtroumpfs
- Smurfs (1981 TV series), which was aired 20 years later.
- The Smurfette (TV special), a 1969 Smurfs TV special made by the same producer.