|Also Known As||Rocker Smurf ("The Astro Smurf", Random House English version)|
|Occupation||Musician, Village Siren|
|Voice Actor||Hamilton Camp|
|First Appearance||Season 1|
1961 Cartoon Show
1981 Cartoon Show
Live-Action Movie (mentioned only)
Harmony Smurf (original French name Schtroumpf Musicien) is one of the main characters of the Smurfs comic books and the Smurfs cartoon show, who has appeared on the show up until the Season 9 premiere episode "The Smurfs That Time Forgot".
He is a musician who is usually off-key and annoys his fellow Smurfs by his attempts to play a musical instrument, usually his horn. Sometimes, his music proves to actually be quite good, like in the new Smurf movie, where he is one of the instrument players (playing his trademark horn) in the opening sequence.
Role in the Village
Harmony's role is supposed to be the musician of the Smurfs who is supposed to play beautiful music. Instead, he just blows his off-key trumpet at random times. He occasionly plays a musician role, when the Smurfs are celebrating. In fact, the Smurfs turn to him when they need music. Examples are when he is shown performing while the other Smurfs do entertaining talents, such as in the opening sequence of the new Smurf movie, where he plays his horn for the dancing Smurfs. In times of danger, Harmony's role would be that of a village siren, where he would play his horn to warn the other Smurfs. This role would be taken over by Crazy Smurf in the 2011 Smurfs movie.
Harmony is the worst musician there is. His main instrument is his trumpet, which is completely off-key. In fact, he's something of a multi-instrumentalist; in "Smurphony In 'C'" he was given the opportunity to try other instruments when the other Smurfs were trying to figure out if a different instrument would make any difference. They let him play the lute, the trombone, the harp, and the harmonium, all of which ended up sounding really off-key. It all cumulated when Brainy Smurf handed him a triangle, and after striking the instrument, the tone was so off key that it fractured the glass in Brainy's glasses. A final attempt had him conducting the orchestra, resulting in everybody playing off-key.
Everytime Brainy or Papa Smurf are announcing something, he plays his trumpet so that the others would know, so he's not entirely bad at this job. Also, it seems like Harmony is in charge of the wake-up-calls for the Smurfs.
While he may be the musician, there is a chance Harmony is either tone deaf or finds his own music to be master pieces. In one episode, he wished for his trumpet to play better, only to throw it away because it didn't make a 'good sound', despite it sounding very pleasant. Despite his awful skills when it comes to playing instruments, it seems that Harmony is actually a great singer as seen in "A Mere Truffle" where he sang a song about his love for truffles.
Harmony gets on all the Smurfs nerves whenever he plays, but he isn't disliked (Smurfs prefer him over Brainy).
They don't seem to be a fan of him, though, often being happy if Harmony doesn't play his off-tuned trumpet anymore. They do care for him, though, saving him whenever he gets himself into trouble.
Yet there are moments where he's asking for trouble. In "Romeo And Smurfette", Harmony keeps on interrupting Handy and Hefty's love songs for Smurfette by blowing his horn everytime they're close to finishing. He did this until they threw him out of the village, in the same manner they throw out Brainy.
- His character was voiced by the late Hamilton Camp.
- He appears in the opening sequence of the new Smurf movie.
- He also made a brief cameo in Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue.
- He appears in cartoon form in the 2011 Smurfs movie in the end part where the pictures shown at the back of a Smurf holding his trademark horn. As far as his appearance as a CGI character, it is in The Smurfs 2: The Video Game as one of the characters you can rescue by collecting enough Smurf coins.
- Harmony is misidentified as Rocker Smurf in the Random House English version of "The Astro Smurf".
- Harmony was mentioned in The Smurfs film when they were mentioning the Smurfs they miss.
- Even though he was never seen in the first movie, Harmony makes an appearance in the beginning of The Smurfs 2, where he, along with Handy, Farmer, Crazy, Smooth, Panicky Smurf and Hefty Smurf were performing music while Narrator was telling the story of Smurfette's creation. Despite being more well-known for playing trumpet, Harmony Smurf is playing guitar while Panicky Smurf plays trumpet.
- Harmony is not named nor seen to be playing his trademark horn in Smurfs: The Lost Village; a Smurf playing a saxophone is present towards the beginning and end of the film but is not positively identified as Harmony.