|Also Known As||Grumpy Smurf (The Smurfs And The Magic Flute UK English dub)|
Positive Smurf (temporary name in The Smurfs 2)
|Voice Actor||Michael Bell (cartoon show)|
George Lopez (The Smurfs film series)
Bumper Robinson (The Smurfs 2: The Video Game)
Jake Johnson (The Lost Village)
|First Appearance||Season 1|
The Lost Village Movie
|Name Translation of Grouchy Smurf|
|German||Muffi Schlumpf, Griesgramschlumpf (only in the old comic books)|
Grouchy Smurf (original French name Le Schtroumpf Grognon) is one of the main characters of the Smurfs comic books and the Smurfs cartoon show, who has appeared on the show throughout its entire run.
He is usually considered a sourpuss since he barely says anything except what he hates. His catchphrase throughout the entire show is "I hate (insert whatever the last person said)." Most of the time, it's all he says throughout the whole show.
No matter what you say or suggest, Grouchy will be against it on principle. From his corner, he interrupts the other with systematically negative comments such as: "I hate..." On the face of it, you'd think he doesn't like anyone or anything. But deep down, he has a heart of gold. Grouchy has a soft spot for Baby Smurf, Puppy, Papa Smurf, Smurfette, and flowers.
Role in the Village
Grouchy is rarely seen working, as all he does is stay in the background and say how much he hates whatever is going on.
During events where the Smurfs have to retrieve something, Grouchy does offer some help and he doesn't seem to get as scared as the others do.
Aren't Smurfs Supposed to be Happy?
While Grouchy was always just plain Grouchy from the start in the show, his attitude is explained in the comics.
In the comics about the "The Black Smurfs", Grouchy started out as being just an ordinary Smurf who was merely working until he was bitten by the Purple Fly (In the show, it was Lazy who was bitten first).
Around the end, when everyone was back to normal, Papa Smurf took note that there was one Smurf who still had the bitter attitude and cruel face that a Purple Smurf has and concluded that this was a side affect for being a Purple Smurf for too long. This one Smurf became known as Grouchy.
In the comics it's actually his fellow smurfs who made that observation in The Magic Egg, the Smurfs are hyped up about the upcoming festival and are thinking about how to make it the best festival ever.
- Jokey Smurf: What if we gave each other presents?
- Grouchy: No I hate presents!
- Brainy Smurf: Or we could let off balloons.
- Grouchy: No, I hate balloons!
- Greedy Smurf: Or we could have a big cake.
- Grouchy: No, I hate cakes.
- Hefty Smurf: (Angry) You're no fun, no cakes, no balloons, no presents, what do you want for this celebration then?
- Grouchy: I hate celebrations!
- Jokey: He's in a bad mood.
- Hefty: Yes, he's been that way ever since he has been stung by the purple fly, something of that seemed to have stuck with him now and then.
Even when he's genuinely happy he still has that angry look going as the scene in "A child among the Smurfs" after Jeanty had demolished his house and had to rebuild it shows. Although his house looked really shambolic, Grouchy decided that Jeanty did such a good job that he couldn't be happier.
- Grouchy: I like my house!
- Jeanty: Really you're not just saying that to please me?
- Grouchy: I HATE just saying things to please others!
Although he is mostly hateful, he loves many things.
Likes and Dislikes
- See Grouchy Smurf/Likes and Dislikes for a complete list.
Due to being the angry outcast, Grouchy doesn't seem to have an actual "Best Smurf Friend" until Baby and Puppy come along. He does get along with the others, but he is always seen leaning against a wall or a tree. Grouchy does show respect for the other Smurfs, but he did admit that he hates Brainy.
Grouchy does like Smurfette, as shown in her debut episode when he drew a heart on a house around the end saying:
- "I-I-I love the Smurfette too- BUT, I HATE anyone to know about it!"
During the debut episode of Baby Smurf, Grouchy had a hard time warming up to Baby, but when he snuck a peek at Baby, Baby was happily imitating Grouchy's scowl, which caused his heart to melt for Baby and actually smiled. Grouchy was too afraid to let his feelings show so he pretended that he still hated Baby, but when Grouchy agreed to look after Baby for Papa Smurf, Papa Smurf saw through it. When the Stork came back with a note demanding Baby back, Grouchy fled with Baby, gladly risking his life to protect Baby in the flash flood and getting help from nearby animals. Grouchy eventually found his way back to the village because he couldn't protect Baby by himself, he broke down into tears knowing that Baby was going to be taken. The next day, Baby was brought back to stay because of Grouchy's demonstration of sincere devotion and a letter from Smurfette. Grouchy is almost always seen with Baby. Grouchy is the one holding Baby and he doesn't seem to mind at all. In the episode where he learned how to swim, Grouchy was too scared to step into the water at first, but when Baby's life was in danger, he swam all the way to save him from Gargamel and Azrael. Grouchy is fully devoted to the safety of Baby, Papa, Smurfette, and all of his fellow Smurfs, even if he doesn't show it. He even wept when Baby Smurf got sick and Papa Smurf was unable to cure him because Sassette made all books disappear by mistake.
Papa Smurf: How is Baby?
Grouchy: (tearfully) I hate how Baby is.
In the Comic Book version of Baby Smurf's origin story, Grouchy fled the Village when the stork came to retrieve Baby remarking that he wouldn't let the stork take him because he loves Baby Smurf. Later a Duck helps him and Baby onto a small island and Grouchy smiles at Baby while admitting he likes Ducks. When Grouchy later in the story is losing all hope Baby cheers him on and realizing that he can't keep Baby exposed to the elements, Grouchy returns to the village and in tears admits that he simply loves Baby too much to just hand him over to the stork.
- Snappy: I HATE ADULT SMURFS!
- Grouchy: Uh but I haven't said anything yet.
- Snappy: But you were about to, weren't you? I could tell.
- Grouchy: How did he guess? (In thoughts) I HATE Smurflings.
Grouchy has also shown that he has a hard time giving into several things.
In the episode "Chlorhydris' Lost Love", where an evil spell was cast upon most of the Smurfs which made them hateful and violent, Grouchy was more hateful than usual.
In the movie series
In the new movie, Grouchy is one of the few Smurfs that travels through time to present-day New York City. During their stay with Patrick and Grace Winslow, he tells Patrick that he finds the Smurf song truly annoying. In the FAO Schwarz toy store where they search for a "stargazer", Grouchy meets a plush toy of a green M&M and discloses his life and secrets to it, but he gets upset when it will not talk to him. He discloses to the plush toy that he uses his grouchiness to hide his true feelings. He makes it promise to remember the moment, as he was supposedly Grouchy for the rest of his life. At the end he is seen having a romantic cart ride with a Smurf-made green M&M plush toy.
The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol
In the accompanying special feature The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol, Grouchy noticeably refuses to participate in the celebration of Christmas, so Papa Smurf whips up a formula that would help his little Smurf regain the Christmas spirit he had lost. While under the influence of the formula, Grouchy is visited by three of his fellow Smurfs appearing as Smurfs of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Smurfette as the Smurf of Christmas Past showed Grouchy how happy he used to be about Christmas until he became disillusioned when all he ever got for a Christmas present was a Smurf hat instead of a hang glider. Brainy as the Smurf of Christmas Present showed Grouchy how his refusal to participate in Christmas will affect current events in the Smurf Village, and also how Papa Smurf made a special Smurf hat for Grouchy that he was sure his little Smurf is going to love. And Hefty as the Smurf of Christmas Future shows Grouchy what his refusal to participate in Christmas will cause on the day of Christmas. Upon awakening, Grouchy realized how selfish he was with what he wanted Christmas to be about and decided that he was going to make the final preparations for Christmas Day, which made Papa Smurf and the other Smurfs glad to see.
The Smurfs 2
Grouchy Smurf appears in The Smurfs 2 as a main character, traveling to modern-day Paris with Papa Smurf, Clumsy, and Vanity to rescue Smurfette from Gargamel, who has kidnapped her so she can give him Papa Smurf's special formula that can turn his Naughties into Smurfs. He temporarily takes on the name Positive Smurf and tries to be more of an encourager, but by the end of the story he reverts to his original name and personality. He winds up falling in love with Vexy.
- He has had very few moments where he does smile, but Grouchy is still probably the most mean-looking Smurf in the village.
- Grouchy was one of the few adult Smurfs who weren't able to swim, but in the end, he ended up to save Baby Smurf showing how much he loves Baby and in the end he loves swimming (Grouchy Makes A Splash).
- Grouchy was one of the remaining Smurfs to not to be turned into stone, others being Smurfette and Papa Smurf (The Baby Smurf).
- There is a day in the Smurf calendar where all the Smurfs must give each other hugs, and this happens to be Grouchy's most despised day.
- His character was voiced by Michael Bell.
- Grouchy, Lazy, Handy, and Johan have the same voice actor, Michael Bell.
- Grouchy is usually never happy, but when he is for a long period of time, he feels pain.
- Grouchy is voiced by George Lopez (The George Lopez Show, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2) in the new live-action movie.
- Grouchy's "I hate..." statements are usually rendered as "Me, I hate..." or "Me, I don't like..." in the Papercutz English translations of the Smurf comic books, following the form of the original French text.
- Grouchy showed to be immune against two of Chlorhydris's spells: he was immune against of the sense of humor eraser since he lacks a sense of humor; and he was immune against the Crow of Unhappiness's song due since he is already unhappy.
- Grouchy is referred to as Grumpy Smurf in the United Kingdom English dub of The Smurfs And The Magic Flute.
- In "Bewitched, Bothered, and Be-Smurfed", because his personality was changed by Hogatha's magic locket, he was willing to kiss Hogatha even though she was a frog.